Cultural Round Island Tour Route on a Sri Lanka Map
Cultural Round Island Tours in Sri Lanka – Youtube Video
Package 01 – Cultural Round Island Tour in Sri Lanka (09 Days Itinerary)
- Day 01 – Collect at Colombo airport and transfer to the nearby (20 mins) beach resort of Negombo for rest and recuperation.
- Day 02 – After breakfast drive to the renowned Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage to watch up to 100 rescued elephants river bathing – with the youngest being given milk to drink! Then continue via Mihintale, where Buddhism was first preached on the island, and on to Anuradhapura for overnight.
- Day 03 – Full morning sightseeing of the remains of this former island capital dating back to the 3rd century BC – especially revered for its ancient Bodhi treee that is a scion of the Buddha’s enlightenment tree in India. Visit the ruins of impressive shrines, Temples and Dagobas.
Afternoon drive south via the huge Aukana Buddha statue to Sigirya for overnight.
- Day 04 – Drive through beautiful lake and jungle scenery to Polonnaruwa for morning sightseeing. Afternoon option to join the Minneriya Park jeep safari to see the largest wild elephant herds on the island. Or free time.
- Day 05 – Early morning (cooler and less crowded!) climb of Sigirya’s Lions Rock – 5th century garden palace and fortress ruins renowned for their exquisite “damsel frescoes”. Then drive to the Rock Cave Temple at Dambulla with option to visit a Spice Garden en route to learn about the natural ayurvedic medicine widely practiced on the island (educational).
Continue towards Kandy with option to also visit the large Hindu Kovil (Temple) in Matale on the way. 2 overnights in Kandy.
Kandy was the last independent state to fall to the British and is famed for is Temple of Buddha’s tooth. Set in hilly country around a beautiful lake, the city hosts the annual, world famous and exotic Perahera Elephant Parades (July/August – dates on request).
- Day 06 – Full day sightseeing in Kandy with a visit to the highly regarded Peradenya Botanical gardens famous for its Orchid houses. Time for market shopping – including semi precious gems, handicrafts, batiks and garments. 5pm Kandy Cultural show (1 hour traditional fire/dance) followed by sunset ceremonies at the nearby Temple of Buddha’s Tooth.
- Day 07 – Drive south in Hill/Tea country stopping at the Ramboda Falls and a working Tea Factory en route. After lunch and short sightseeing in Nuwara Eliya, catch the 3pm train on the scenic route to Ella for overnight.
- Day 08 – At leisure in the dramatically located village of Ella with fabulous views. Opportunity to visit the dramatic Ravanna waterfalls and take a short trek to Little Adam’s peak. Afternoon drive to the Tissamaharama lake district near the Yala Park game reserve.
- Day 09 – Early morning jeep safari in Yala Park – including leopards, with luck! Later in the morning drive along the south coast past beautiful palm-fringed beaches via the resorts of Tangalle, Mirissa and Unawatuna to Unesco Heritage “Galle Fort” for sightseeing. Then either drop off at a beach resort hotel for further relaxation or continue to Colombo airport.
End of tour.
(This is a suggested itinerary that is popular with our clients and can be adapted as required. Different price categories are available according to hotel standards required. Please make your suggestions so that we can offer you a quotation.)